Are you reaching expert-level status for flossing yet? If not, do not fret as it is a skill that can constantly be improved as you can spend three minutes a day fine-tuning your skills. In no time at all, you can go from a crooked flosser with bad techniques to an oral hygiene superstar. You can floss like a boss by following just a few tips that can improve your flossing skills:
– It is recommended by the American Dental Association to clean the areas between teeth at least once per day to remove food residue and plaque buildup that cannot be easily reached by brushing alone.
– Always use dental floss or a dental cleanser that is dentist-approved or has the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– When flossing, never use the same piece of dental floss twice, as it can reinsert harmful bacteria back into your mouth.
– To floss your entire mouth with one strand, opt for a piece at least 18 inches long, wrapped around a finger on each hand, with a different part of the strand being used between each tooth.
– Always seek out dental floss that is shred resistant, which is often the case for floss that uses single filament thread. Although multi-filament nylon thread is more likely to shred, it is just as effective at removing plaque and debris.
Be sure to visit our dentists, Drs. Don Niu, Alexander Yuen, Jason Wong, and Calvin Dang at least twice a year for oral exams and professional cleanings. Our Irvine Dental Group team in Irvine, California can be reached at 877-396-6899. We look forward to helping you achieve and maintain a stellar smile today!