Gum disease attacks the gums and tissues that surround and support the teeth. This infection is a one of the main causes of tooth loss in adults. Gum disease is caused by plaque, the sticky bacteria that form on the teeth. Gum disease is usually painless, so you may not know that you have it. However, there are some warning signs of this disease, including:
– Gums that bleed easily
– Gums that are red, tender, or swollen
– A bad taste or bad breath that will not go away
– Gums that are receding from the teeth
– Loose or separating permanent teeth
– A change in your bite
You should be aware that there are some factors that can increase your risk of developing gum disease. These include:
– Poor dental hygiene
– Using tobacco products
– Crooked teeth that are hard to clean properly
– Certain medications, including some anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, and oral contraceptives
If you suspect that you have gum disease, schedule an appointment with our dentists at Irvine Dental Group today. The sooner gum disease is treated, the better. The early stages of gum disease can usually be treated by a teeth cleaning at our office and daily brushing and flossing at home.
Please contact our office today to learn more about treatment for gum disease in Irvine, California, and to schedule your next visit with Drs. Niu, Yuen, Wong, and Dang.